Saturday, June 11, 2011

Come To Me

I’ve been wrestling with the idea that God wants something from me, and I’ve been wondering what that might be. It’s almost as if God is a mean boss, shouting out impossible orders from His lofty throne. Of course, in my case, He probably demands that I speak publicly to large crowds. Not happening. Or maybe He expects that I fix every problem that is not my own. It’s like running on a treadmill; you sweat and you become sore, but you never actually get anywhere. 
I’m beginning to realize how twisted this idea of God really is. This not from my own mind. I’m pretty sure it’s the Truth. The Bible speaks over and over again about becoming childlike in our faith. Naturally, I love this type of language. 
Last week, I was admiring the beauty of Costa Rica. I was talking to God at one point, and caught myself whispering, “how did you do this?” It made me smile. I remembered the times I’ve colored with my kids at work. They always ask how I learned to color so well, or if they can keep my picture when I get done. The same spark of love those memories bring to my heart is the spark that melts the heart of our Maker when we marvel at the works of His hands.
I’m beginning to see that the at center of God’s desire is community. That God’s pleasure with me isn’t contingent upon my ability to preform, but in who He said I am. He takes pleasure in those moments that I admire His creation, and He takes pleasure in my coming to Him with opened wounds. In doing so, we humble that voice that whispers, “I can do it on my own.” And when that voice is humbled, a task that is impossible without the help of the Holy Spirit, we find ourself in communion with the God of the universe. 
Our insecurity with God keeps us from embracing our brokenness. We begin to isolate ourselves from our community of siblings in Christ. In my experience, this brings about a long and painful season, filled with shame and dejection. The crazy thing about it all is that three words can fix any situation we find ourselves in. Three words that Jesus said in Matthew 11. 
“Come to me” 
So, for me.. this is one of the hardest things on the planet. It’s hard to give up my pride and ask for help. It’s hard for me to apologize when I’m wrong. And it’s hard for me to cry out to God when my heart hurts. BUT when I have done this, I am filled with peace and joy. It’s not always immediate, but there is always hope. 
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
 they will run and not grow weary,
 they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:30-31

No comments:

Post a Comment